Sharks are truly amazing creatures. Heres some interesting facts that you might not know ….1. Pigs kill more people every year than sharks do.
2. Shark skeletons are made of the same material as your nose and ears.
3. Most sharks, as we know them today, developed during the Cretaceous Period, about 64 million years ago when dinosaurs ruled the earth, although their lineage can be traced back much further.
4. Unlike fish, sharks do not have a swim bladder to keep them afloat. Sharks rely on a large oil-filled liver instead.
5. Sharks have electroreceptor organs called Ampullae of Lorenzini, that detect the electromagnetic field generated by all living things.
6. Rather than scales, sharks’ skin is covered with millions of tiny teeth, called dermal denticles.
7. Despite the common misconception, sharks are not immune to cancer.
8. The shark with the strongest measured bite is the dusky shark at 132 pounds of force.
9. Sharks can see in murky water because of a special feature that makes their eyes more sensitive to light. A membrane in the back of the eye called the tapetum lucidum reflects sunlight back into the eye, so the shark can make more use of what little light is there.
10. Most sharks do not take care of their young; offspring fend for themselves from birth.
11. At least seven species of mackerel shark, including the great white, are unique in their ability to elevate and maintain body temperatures as much as 13°C above the ambient water temperature.
12. Great white sharks eyes are not black and ‘dead looking’, as often described, but in fact have quite conspicuous blue pupils.
The team at Master Divers recently put together a video with the aim of raising awareness of shark finning.
If you have seen it then its below ! Help drive awareness of this barbaric practice by sharing this film and hitting the like button below.